Friday, December 31, 2004

Happy New Year's Eve

2004 has flown by. Due to Hurricane Ivan I've lost a month somewhere, it really should be about Thanksgiving time not the beginning of 2005.

How will 2005 start for me? Hmmm, how about ovenless! Got up yesterday morning to bake the kids a nutritious breakfast, Pillsbury Cinnamon Rolls, and the oven would never get hot. It's a gas stove so the burners work just fine, the clock on the stove works and the oven light works. I'm hoping that maybe just the pilot went out but then the top of the stove wouldn't work would it? What a mess. I'm taking my turkey to work with me and throwing it on the BBQ pit. Hopefully it will completely cook while I'm there. Since my next non-holiday day off is Wednesday there's no hope of this problem being resolved before then.

Other than that no plans for the weekend, it's the first of the month so not a lot of extra money to play around with this weekend. Yesterday at the video store I picked up used DVDs of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and The Big Bounce.

Music

I was so excited to discover that Motley Crue is going back on tour! I *heart* Nikki Sixx. I love that man, have since I was about 15. If their tour brings them anywhere near Florida I am there! The last time I saw them was about 10 or 12 years ago at the Midsouth Colliesium in Memphis. I know, GROW UP! But hey I'm a child of the 80s. I can't help myself. Speaking of the 80s. One of the kids I work with was talking about the 1980s like they were the 1950s or something. Then it dawned on me, when I was her age Happy Days was a hit show. I am so old!

I do miss the 80s. We had the best music. No Parking on the Dance Floor, You Dropped the Bomb on Me. Mine and DH's first date was to go see Purple Rain and then about the 5th date or so we went to see Prince at the Midsouth Collisieum. Second row seats! Ahhh, those were the days.

Sometimes I get so homesick. I would never want to move back to Memphis but I do miss my grandmother and my best friend and Exlines Pizza. I miss walking around the Peabody Hotel, seeing the sunset over the river, going to a concert at the amphitheater on Mud Island(saw Jackson Browne there over 10 yrs ago). Sometimes it would be nice to be with people that know your history. Know where you came from and what helped you become the person that you are today.

New Year's Goals

My only goal for the new year is to be a better person and a better friend. I have dreams and things I would like to accomplish but I've learned that setting those goals just doesn't work for me. Those kind of goals usually just leave me feeling like a major loser when the end of the year rolls around and I got absolutely nothing on my list finished. Of course in the coming days and weeks I'll have lists and lists of projects that I want to work on and hopefully finish but I'm not going to pressure myself. My crochet, cross stitching, knitting, quilting and scrapbooking are all for me and my enjoyment. If others are the beneficiaries of those finishes, that's great, but for me it's about the process. In the last couple of days I've been working on a long overdue RR and I realized how much I've missed cross stitching. It's always been my first love but I've gotten so bogged down in meeting goals and trying to finish a few important to me things that are gifts for people I dearly love that I began to resent the projects. It's been good to step back and realize that the earth would not swallow me up if these things weren't finished. Now I think I can pick up these projects with the right mindset and it's ok to work hard to get them finished but I can't let myself get so obsessed over them.

If you can please donate here: American Red Cross - Preparing Communities for Emergencies and Keeping People

Happy New Year! May Peace, Love and Joy Be With You All in 2005!

No comments: