Tuesday, January 10, 2006

In the Blood

















To show that my love of handwork comes quite naturally, I thought I'd share a picture of one of my priceless treasures. This is obviously a shirt. My grandmother embroidered this for me when I was around twelve years old. This means the world to me. Believe it or not there's a little bit of symbolism here. The little house is supposed to be a log cabin and is in honor of my Little House on the Prairie obsession and the fact that Laura Ingalls Wilder has always been one of my heroes. The rainbow represents my being a Rainbow Girl. The flowers on the collar and cuffs are in honor of my grandmother's love for every kind of plant imaginable and the umbrellas are for my love of the rain, wading through mud puddles, and loving nothing better than sitting on the swing in her yard watching storms move in across the sky.

2 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

What a fabulous shirt. I wish I had some of the stuff my mom embroidered for me. My grandmothers...they were undomesticated. ;P

CJ in OK ;-) said...

How special to have something like this. Treasure it always.