Tuesday, September 14, 2004

Hurricane Ivan

We've been debating the issue of evacuating. For some reason leaving seems wrong, but staying doesn't feel right either. We live in a sturdy house. If we were in a trailer, the decision would be easy. We'd leave. We're four miles from the Gulf, three from the Sound.

I've stocked the pantry with Oreos, ChipsAhoy, chocolate milk, sandwich stuff, ramen noodles, sodas and water. We have plenty of Koolaid mix and Country Time Lemonade and tea. Laundry's running, and if we had to leave we're prepared for that too.

I never realized what an emotional decision this would be. I always thought it would be a black and white decision. Who knew there were so many areas of gray in deciding to evacuate or stay? Not me for sure.

The two older boys want to stay, the youngest has his backpack packed and keeps asking when we're leaving. Only three families are left here on our road and we are one of them.

Time will tell, we may head out in a few hours, then again we may ride the storm out here. The farther west it turns the better off we are. Other issues to consider is that we will have to be home by Friday for DH to return to work, that means after the storm hits here we must drive back through the rest of storm to make it back home.

I just wish one decision felt right. Nothing feels like it's the right thing to do.

No comments: