Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Stitching, Dreaming, and Not Making Much Progress

I say I'm not making much progress but Sarah Hook is very close to finished. Horrible weather down here at the moment, dark clouds, lots of wind, huge, huge surf, so maybe a finished pic sometime later in the week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Lately friends and I have been discussing future projects, there are so MANY!

I try hard not set goals where my stitching is concerned because I never keep them and then feel like a loser and this is supposed to be something that enhances my life, not adds more stress. Sometimes I set a few goals because it's the kick in the pants I need to get a long term project wrapped up.

This time of year I find that I fall into a depression and my stitching is my escape. I beyond hate the holiday season. It's just a stressful time and on a very selfish note, I'm sick and tired of eating my own cooking every Thanksgiving and Christmas. Of course those that know me would say I hate eating my own cooking on a daily basis. It's not because I'm a bad cook, just sometimes when the holidays roll around someone else's green bean casserole or hashbrown casserole or cornbread dressing would be pretty darn tasty. My mom's chocolate pies are something I've been missing lately. That's the taste of home to me. I make her chocolate chip pie but her chocolate pies with meringue topping, I can't duplicate.

I go into a stitching frenzy, it takes me somewhere else, I don't think about the impending holiday season, greedy children, and all the food I like to eat but am tired of cooking. I focus on my overwhelming list of projects I have started, I start obsessing over the finishing, I start competing with myself to see how many things I can finish and put in for framing before the Christmas rush. Is that sick or what? But it takes my mind away from home, from holidays spent with extended family, and for a little while nothing else matters but making those little Xs on fabric and watching the design unfold.

I have to wonder yet again, what in the world do people who have no creative outlet do to get out of their heads for a little while? Without my stitching I'd be insane.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

(((((((((Melissa)))))))))) Thank God we have our needlework to help us escape! Those without the love of the needle arts, or interests in general? Definitely pod people. I can't wait to see your Sarah Hook!

Anonymous said...

So just come home for the holidays and we'll cook for you!! Becky

Anonymous said...

you can come eat with me and DBF. I've been experimenting with canning chow chow and it's turning out pretty good, it I do say so myself:)

Anna van Schurman said...

I always wonder how people can wait (in the drs office or airport or on the commute) without anything to do. I think people really are like David Puddy.

Holidays with extended family aren't always all they're cracked up to be. I could tell you stories...So make a family you choose! Have a potluck. Assign someone else to make the damn bean casserole.

Joanie said...

When I read your post, I had to chuckle cause I so relate to your holiday meal story and your cross stitching frenzy at the end of the year. I think we do that because we feel at the close of the year we need to tie up all the loose ends and start again once the New Year rolls around and it's a great escape from the holiday stress. What would we do without our cross stitch?

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday Melissa (Oct 19)!!! Hope it's as wonderful as you are, gf!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Melissa!!

claudia said...

My daughter and I were just talking about how our Christmases are just not "there" for us anymore. I decided to jazz it up this year...We are taking all the money we would have spent on out extended families (who need nor want anything) and buying lotions and perfumes, makeup and fun mommy stuff and some neat little toys for kids and pacing it all up to take to abused women's shelters. That is the only thing that will make me feel better about this time of year now!

Hugs to you and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Meari said...

Happy Birthday, Melissa!