Thursday, February 23, 2006

It's 3:30 a.m

The dog sticks her cold nose in my mouth because she has to pee. I stagger into the living room in my t-shirt and underwear, open the back door and she runs barking like a maniac and the creature below waddles away from the back door to the tree:



The camera was on the night landscape setting, did I mention it was 3:30 in the morning?

Miss Heidi had her prey pinned to the tree but then remembered she had that whole bladder thing going on, so stopped mid-hunt to relieve herself. She wandered back to check on Petey Opossum, then realized she wasn't quite finished with the whole bladder business and took another pee break, during the second pee break is when I remembered to get the camera. Yes, I probably should have used a flash but both neighbors have windows that overlook my backyard, the barking was bad enough but a 3:30 a.m. laser light show was probably not in their plans.





This was without a doubt the biggest opossum I've ever seen. Anyone see the cat from Japan that has a 36 inch waist? Not quite that big, but he didn't walk, he waddled. Instead of playing dead like usual, this particular marsupial actually had some fight in him. Makes me wonder if it was pregnant. I can't believe in regards to opossum I actually used the words "like usual". My family, we are without a doubt, opossum magnets. Seriously, how many people do you know that have the odd opossum story? I have several stories of intimate encounters with opossum. Intimate you ask? How about an opossum behind my toilet at 4:00a.m.? Intimate enough for you? Just call us the Clampetts.

No comments: