Sunday, May 15, 2005

I've been tagged!

Frogging Out tagged me for this meme:

Choose 5 and complete the sentence...

If I could be a scientist . . .
If I could be a farmer . . .
If I could be a musician . . .
If I could be a doctor . . .
If I could be a painter . . .
If I could be a gardener . . .
If I could be a missionary . . .
If I could be a chef . . .
If I could be an architect . . .
If I could be a linguist . . .
If I could be a psychologist . . .
If I could be a librarian . . .
If I could be an athlete . . .
If I could be a lawyer . . .
If I could be an inn-keeper . . .
If I could be a professor . . .
If I could be a writer . . .
If I could be a llama-rider . . .
If I could be a bonnie pirate . . .
If I could be an astronaut . . .
If I could be a world famous blogger . . .
If I could be a justice on any one court in the world . . .
If I could be married to any current famous political figure . . .

If I could be a bonnie pirate-It's sounds cliche but I would retire to my own private desert island somewhere in the Caribbean but no where near Kenny Chesney. Raise a big family, and laugh over all the books and stories being written about my days as the world's most famous of female pirates. I would laugh at all the embellished tales and be surprised at how close to the truth many writers managed to get. Those were some wild times!

If I could be a farmer-I would be an organic farmer. I would spend my time away from the farm trying to educate people about the dangers of pesticides and how one can make a success of a farm without government aid because the head of the farm refuses to put poison on their crops. I would refuse to grow anything that is supposed nurture yet covered in toxins that most people can't get off the fruits and vegetables no matter how well they wash it.

If I could be a architect-All my buildings would be a bit on the wonky side. Why? Because even with the most expensive ruler in my possession I can't seem to draw a straight line.

If I could be a painter-I would be so bad that some NYC art critic would see my work and start singing my praises. Only I would know that these are just blobs of paint on canvas with no deeper meaning than that was where the paint managed to land on the canvas. People would pay thousands of dollars for my *art* and I would become rich off their pretentiousness.

If I could be a writer-I would hope to write stories that inspire and offer hope yet manage to be fun and full escapism. Books that readers enjoy and can set aside and not feel like many hours they will never get back were wasted. I hope they are full of lines that people quote constantly, some that make them sound smart, some that make them sound funny, and some that end up as trivia questions on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire.

*I would have loved to write about being a Llama rider but I'm sure the "Tina you fat lard" references have probably been over done. But I would love to have a llama and I'd be very unoriginal and of course name her Tina and maybe even get her a boyfriend and name him Napoleon.

*bonus answer


Weekend Things

A friend asked me recently about quiltmaking. I explained to her that I do everything the hard way and took a few pics of my old school quilt making process, Photobucket seems to not be playing fair this afternoon so I'll save that painful pictorial for tomorrow. It might be possible to get the pics uploaded at 4 am. Why do I refer to it as "painful"? I have discovered that there is an art to taking photos for the old blog and I am not endowed with those skills. Working on them but let's just say I'm a good ten thousand light years away from taking decent blog photos.

We went to the beach yesterday and I forgot the camera. It was a beautiful day, take my word for it. I even got a little pink. Very nice. While subjecting my body to UV rays I read Jeannette Wall's The Glass Castle. It's a very good read. It's painful due to the fact it's her memoir and not a work of fiction, but it's the best book I've read in a long time. I found myself torn in regards to her parents. She writes about them with such love and affection that as a reader I found myself becoming fond of them, at the same time I wanted to punch her dad and slap her mother to bring them out of their fogs, to see the fine line between letting your children be free and not conform to society's expectations and the horror of them eating out of trash cans.

I've done a bit of cleaning here and there, filled up two garbage bags. Where does this clutter come from? The more I throw out the more I find to throw out. I know that's a good thing but you'd think eventually there'd be an end to the piles of junk I have everywhere. I'm getting so much better at throwing stuff out. Junk mail is tossed out immediately. A lot of it goes unopened. That is a huge step for me. I usually open it, set on the table and leave it there for an undetermined amount of time before I finally decide it's served it's purpose and can now be thrown out. Now I throw it away almost immediately. What a difference that makes. I'm also doing better about throwing newspapers away the same day we get them.

I haven't done any stitching but did find a star afghan crochet pattern for a baby blanket(think it's linked in the previous post) and while I wanted to do something along the lines of
Hazelnut Latte's rainbow star afghan(because even though they say it's a girl I'm never 100% sure until it's born) I think I'm going to go with all pink. I live in an all boy house, not a lot of pink to be found under this roof, so tomorrow when everyone is off to work and their various schools I plan to make a trip to the store we love to hate and buy some nice soft baby yarn and start on the star baby afghan tomorrow. I'm going to go with pink and white unless I find a varigated baby yarn that will work. I like using variegated yarns with a solid because I think they add interest. I saw one somewhere a few months ago that was pink and had a few rows here and there of a variegated yarn and it looked so sweet.

To Yarngirl-yes Julie, I'm constantly looking for crocheted items on tv shows. I'm dorky enough to freeze frame the scene if it's a show I taped and write down the colors used in the afghans and if I recognise the pattern. I'm so color challenged that any help I get from any source is appreciated. I also make a note if I see crocheted pillows and doilies and try to find patterns that resemble the ones on tv.

To Doodle-blog the EQ5 software ROCKS! I'm still learning how to use it and am not happy to discover that DS#1's Tropical Ohio Star is going to look horrible. I scanned in my own fabrics and have been playing around with the Ohio Star quilt block and these particular colors, ick! One or two of the color layouts look nice(the rest make me want to throw up they are so horrible), so I may just resign myself to the fact that I will do 20 squares that are all just alike because the colors don't seem to work too well any other way.

Note to self: get some books on color quick. This chick is not blessed in anyway with color sense. I'm beginning to wonder how I manage to get dressed every morning in anything that remotely matches.

No comments: