Friday, January 09, 2009

Hissy Fit

Ok, I'm all fired up this morning. I belong to some Yahoo groups and I don't always get around to reading the messages in every group. I try, but hey, sometimes you just can't. This morning while browsing some digests I ran across a post about a stitcher who stitched a sampler. The stitcher changed a color of the floss used in the design so that it would show up on the linen she chose for her project instead of using the floss in the chart key. She posted her finish and the designer contacted her and stated her opinion about her changing a color in the design.

I want to say here and now, I appreciate cross stitch designers. I know how hard it is to design anything. I've been trying to do some small designs the last couple of weeks and talk about a pain in the butt, but just because you tell me on the chart to use WDW Turkish Red, it doesn't mean that I might not want to change it out for some kind of blue or purple or pink if I prefer that. It's not an attack on you or your color palate, just my preference. Time and again all across the cross stitch BBs you will find stitchers who changed colors in a design for whatever reason.

Now if this design was a reproduction sampler and the designer thought the stitcher did something to insult the integrity of her interpretation of the reproduction sampler, the fact is, the designer who converted the sampler to chart form, I'm assuming, doesn't have the original threads the original stitcher of the sampler had at the time she was stitching it so it stands to reason that the designer, in her conversion, used threads she had available when she was charting the sampler. As stitchers we have to, many times, use the threads or fabric we have available and have to make adjustments in the color key for those changes.

I have several charts by this designer in my stash. I know of one that I will definitely be stitching differently from the chart. When I start this piece I will be posting it on my blog and I haven't pulled my chart but as far as I can tell there is no notation that I can't stitch it any way I want using whatever threads and fabric I want.

The cross stitch chart is a creative starting point. It is not law, it is not a sacred text, it's a cross stitch chart for crying out loud.

So baby, BRING IT!

PS: I intentionally did not include a link to the blog or the designer's name. I don't want to cause the stitcher any unnecessary pain and I sure don't want to promote this designer until I have one of her designs in progress with my changes clearly stated.

I'm a stitcher, hear me roar!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Melissa!!! The decision was made to remove all photos because I too do not want her to have free advertising.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Anonymous said...

I am always changing my colours on designs to suit myself, I would of thought most designers would like people to add their own personality to the designs!

Anonymous said...

You know what, if you want the design stitched your way only, don't sell the chart. Only sell finished pieces done your way.

Sharon said...

I am so glad that you posted this. I never heard of such a thing in my life, it's ridiculous. I change thread colors all the time. What a nerve that designer has. Shame on her.

Nancy M said...

I can't believe a designer had the guts to say that! Most like the fact that some of us can use our imagination and change things up and they encourage it! If it was a popular board, she may she her sales go down, just because of her views on that.

Leah said...

How ridiculous! I change the recommended thread colours on almost every design I stitch. I'm dying to find out which designer would be so completely clueless!

Anonymous said...

I change/substitute colours all the time and I've never had anyone call me on it. In fact, whenever I've shared my finish with the designer, through a blog or a BB or whatever, I've had nothing but positive comments, even if I've made changes.

I'd really love to know which designer it is, I'm amazed that they did this!

Suzanne said...

Yeah, what Missy Ann said. Who is this designer so I can make sure NOT to buy any of their charts. I stopped buying another designers charts when she went into a tizzy over something just as anal (coughcoughMLIcoughcough). The designs just aren't as appealing when you know the designers are like that. Suz

Katrina said...

I could make a guess as to the designer but I won't since I am not positive. I am with you, nothing wrong with changing colors here and there. I am not a purist even on the reproduction pieces. That's what makes them our own.

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I posted on a board several years ago some pictures of a chart I had stitched. Well, I had changed some of the design to fit my personal style. I got slammed by some many people about how I shouldn't have changed the original design and that it wasn't meant to look like that. Well, it's hanging in my house and that is how I wanted to do it. Designers need to get over it, we pay for the charts and we should be able to do with them as we like. I did get a comment from the designer that said she liked how I personalized my piece, so I felt that was all I needed.
I can't wait to see your finished By the Bay.

Jan

Anonymous said...

You go Melissa!!! I totally agree with Missy Ann. I have a hunch who the designer is, and she really needs to get over it and let up on her own feelings of self importance. I know one very sweet and popular designer who encourages stitchers to make her designs their own with color changes or whatever they are more comfortable stitching. You now what? I don't figure I have to stitch reproductions like the chart either..........oh curses! I'll probably go to hell for that. LOL Many of the old samplers that are reproduced were stitched by young girls who were learning to stitch and are not perfect to begin with. If their mistakes bother me then I change them. I know many gals don't change anything from the chart, but I didn't even stitch my first piece as charted. Charts are guides not commandments carved in stone.

Kim said...

I got your back on this one babe! That rips! Gimme a break! I switch out whatever I feel like at any given time...whether it be threads....or even *GASP* design elements! Makes it my own! ;o)

Cindy said...

I have heard horror stories about these types of things before. Most designers are thrilled to provide you the opportunity to interpret their work as you want. I'm not very creative, so I don't deviate from the instructions too often :) But if I want to switch out a color or two, who cares?!?!?

Jacque said...

OMG! If all designers were that close minded, I'd be in a lot of trouble! : )

If I buy it and decide to change colors, parts of the design or even use a portion in a round robin, that's my business. They don't own my interpretation of the design...I DO! Whoever it is either needs to adjust their attitude or quit designing.

Jennifer said...

I too can make a guess at who the designer might be, and I think it's utterly ridiculous. One of the things I love most about stitching it the ability to change designs, colors, etc., to personalize a piece either for myself or a recipient. I think it makes a piece more personal, more special, and definitely unique. Shame on a designer who insists their charts must be followed to the letter.

Christina said...

First, I'm flabbergasted. I would think the designer, being a creative person, would enjoy or encourage people taking the designs to a whole different level.

Secondly, you go, girl! (love your blog, by the way)

Carolyn said...

That's ridiculous! I change colors all the time on the designs I stitch. I, too, would love to know who this designer is, as I wouldn't want to support them if they are that anal about their designs. Sorry, but I cross stitch to let my creativity out. This designer needs to get a grip or will be losing lots of customers.

Michelle said...

I agree...it's so unfortunate that the designer felt the need to call someone out on making changes to the design. I can't wait to see what happens if and when she encounters you!

Jeanne said...

Well that is unbelievably ridiculous!!! We can change anything we darn well want to when we stitch something. As long as we're not republishing their work or anything like that, what do they care? Ditto to Missy Ann and the rest of the responders. I wish I knew which designer this was so I could make sure not to buy her or his charts. Geez!

Jeanne said...

Okay I had to leave one more comment Melissa. Don't think moving to the desert will solve your water problems! I live there and just got an estimate this morning for $1500 to do roof repairs! The sun is very hard on roofs here and then when it rains, look out!

Kathy Barrick said...

WOW! I'm shocked!! Each stitcher should make a piece their own by changing fibers, fabrics, the design, anything they'd like. Sounds like this designer might have a few control issues!!

Kathy

Mariana said...

How DISGUSTING!!! Doesn't that just make you sick! We have to spend a fortune to buy their stinkin' charts to start with and now we're not even allowed to stitch them as we see fit. Just disgusting! I change patterns up all the time and recently even added designs TO what the designer did. THEN I sent it to her to see and she never said anything but how she liked the way I embellished it. On the other hand- maybe this designer was just having a really bad day. I try to give the benefit of the doubt...... Love your blog, BTW. It's in my favorites.

Julie said...

I agree completely. I'm not one to change colors based on my preference unless I can't afford it. Some charts call for silks that, at that time, I may not be able to afford, so I go to the next closest conversion in a cheaper thread.

I know who did all this, and I love that she removed the designers photos so she wouldn't get any *free* advertising. I love that! :o)

Thanks for venting on the matter.

Margie said...

I've been thinking about this since you first posted. I'm really shocked and unlike many other, I don't have a clue of what designer could be so closed minded. Somehow I thought they would encourage us to grow as stitchers and a large part of this is putting your stamp on a piece.