Thursday, November 23, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving

It's 4:40am on Thanksgiving 2006. Since 2am I've baked a cake and three batches of muffins. The blueberry are still baking, not quite done yet. I'm getting ready to shower and then run our friends to Mobile to catch their plane to New Mexico. I've told my friend if they get tossed off the plane due to her breastfeeding, we'll come get them in Houston.

The last few weeks have been difficult and on this morning, on a day to be thankful for our blessings, I find it's not as difficult to find things to be thankful for as I thought a few hours ago. Battle with an 11 year old can just suck the everlovin' life out of one let me tell ya.

But, at least my boys can argue with me. On this day there are parents who wish they could have one more argument with their child, one more make up hug, one more phone call to say "I love you". So with all the frustration, anger, annoyance, I am thankful for my three healthy boys. I am thankful that I can look at their smiles everyday. I am thankful I can hear them slam the door when they are angry with me. I am thankful that they are a part of my life. I don't know if they will ever know exactly what they mean to me, but I love them so much.

I am thankful that I am married to someone who embraces my dorkiness, my flakiness, my moodswings(ok that's a stretch, but he's still here). I am thankful that he has never once told me that my dreams were stupid, ridiculous or anything other than realistic. I am so sorry it took me 16 yrs to surrender to the madness of football season and the Raider Nation. I am thankful that I don't live in Oakland, CA because if I did I would be married to a face painter.

I am thankful for my friends. Thanks for being there, listening to me whine. You know who are. I love you all so much.

I am thankful for family. I don't call as often as I should, I never go back home, but I love you. I really, truly do.

I am thankful for Kate. You rock!

Happy Thanksgiving!

2 comments:

Anna van Schurman said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm glad neither of us is married to a face painter.

Meari said...

Happy Belated Thanksgiving. Those are great things to be thankful for! People should reflect and be grateful every day. We might live in a happier world! LOL, OK that might be a stretch, and yes I probably sound dorky. Oh well.