Saturday, July 04, 2009

Tomato Blonde?

Happy Independence Day to all my fellow Americans and Happy Saturday to the rest of the world.

I haven't been doing a lot of stitching lately, but when I have been picking up needle and thread it's been to put a few stitches in CHS Strawberry Blonde. I am using an unevenweave fabric, Osnaburg, that I found at JoAnn's. I started Strawberry Blonde back in January, 2007. I haven't made much more progress. But I am once again in love with this piece of stitching. The unevenweave of the fabric it's 28x34 I believe makes the stitching interesting. Since this is a primitive design I thought it'd be ok to experiment a little and I thought I was darn forward thinking in finding this fabric near the quilting fabrics at JoAnn's and determining might be just right for cross stitch, back in 2007.

At $3.49 a yard I thought it was worth the risk, we'll call it adventure stitching. My one concern, and what has been my only concern, is that the unevenweave is giving my ginormous strawberry a distinct tomato look but I do believe the more stitching I do the better it's going to look. I may just get this finished before the end of summer. Whoops, said that outloud, chances are I won't touch it again until who knows when.

No I'll keep stitching because I'm loving her lots at the moment.

Yesterday in my mailbox I found this package from Amanda, what a treat!
Yes my picture has a bluish hue, I thought it was the lighting outside but I do believe my camera is slowly biting the dust. What you see are some of her cool notecards and envelopes, some peppermint lip goodness and a Moleskine Cahier pocket sketchbook. Sweet! She liked the name I came up with for her rhubarb/tequila drink. Rhubarbarita...although she ended up going for Soulepapa's suggestion of the Ruby June. She sent me this as an honorable mention. Thanks Amanda!

This was the beach last Sunday. I'm pretty sure people are going to be elbow to elbow, feet to heads, all across the beach this weekend. Unless we go early we won't be going.



No big holiday plans, some eatin', some chillin', some stitchin'. I'm planning on starting
The Primitive Needle.'s Simply Live and SAL with Missy and it's the HAED SWIP SAL over on the BB so my Dark Waters will see the light of day for a bit this weekend and of course I'll continue to work on my Tomato Blonde. I'm curious to see how the bird next to the large strawberry is going to stitch up. Fat, thin, normal like the chick at the bottom.
Happy Holiday Everyone and I say if it's not a holiday weekend in your corner of the world, make it one. Open a bottle of wine, a bottle of icy cold root beer and celebrate waking up in the morning, breathing in and out, the blue of the sky, the green of the grass, there's a lot in this world to be happy about even among the mess!

3 comments:

Margaret said...

Looking good! And hey, tomatoes are good too, right? :D I think it looks strawberry-ish though. Nice honorable mention prize! Congrats! As for the beach, no way would I go -- hate crowds! My daughter is at the beach with friends today though. Whatever!

Siobhán said...

Hey, I think it looks great! If it turns out looking funky, that's fine... funky is good! ;)

Anonymous said...

Looking good! And hey, tomatoes are good too..thanks nice to see this post..

___________________
Andrew
Apply now Nation wide cash