Thursday, August 04, 2005

Thursday Morning

Well my work week is coming a close early. I work today and then don't go back until Monday. I'm so glad. One of the kids I work with is going to NYC and wanted an extra day on her paycheck before she left and I was glad to let her have it.

I've decided that I'm ok with unemployment. Have to budget, won't be a lot of spending splurges but I'll survive. I've also decided that I'll use the early days of my jobless state to finish some long overdue projects. This will give me some time to get things organized, save up my pennies(wish I was kidding about that but pennies is just about right) for whatever I might need to start some new projects, and hopefully plan out a quilt or two.

I've been trying to organize my stash for all my crafty endeavors and boy is it hard. I didn't realize how much stuff I have accumulated over the last couple of years. My fabric stash is fairly small, as is my scrapbooking stash but my cross stitch and crochet stash are both fairly large, well ok my crochet stash isn't all that big but it takes up a lot of space. I have several afghans kitted and ready to start-not to mention the ones I have started and need to finish, and extra yarn all over the place, this does not include the various skeins I've purchased for future knitting projects. Does the insanity ever end? Well I guess it ends when I run out of stash and then I'll be insane without anything to do.

I can't imagine life without my stash. Even when I don't seem to have one minute to sit down and create anything, I know that it's there quietly waiting on me to find time to work it into my life. I've asked this a thousand times, what do people who don't have hobbies do? What gets them through the week, the day, the hour? Even when sitting down to stitch is the very last thing on my mind I'm always dreaming about the next project, dreaming about working on something, creating something.

I was able to stitch for a little while yesterday and it felt so good to hold that needle in my hand and make some little Xs on fabric. I didn't care if I finished the project or only made 10 Xs. I was just stitching to stitch. The last month or so I have become one of those people in the previous paragraph. No stitching, no creating, but I did dream about it all the time. It made me unhappy not to have the time to pursue some of my quiet pleasures. On the positive side I did read a great book, The Historian, 700 pages in two days. Couldn't put it down.

No comments: