Thursday, January 06, 2011

That Emma, She's a Screamer

Since finishing Rachael Holmes my stitching time has been devoted to sweet EMMA LERCH. She seems to be yelling the loudest and considering her loud color palette, she's hard to ignore.
Emma Lerch
Scarlet Letter
32ct cream linen
DMC
started in 2010

The last couple of days have been spent on stitching the house outline and I will admit that while this is a reproduction sampler I am not stitching it the same as Emma. Her house was apparently outlined with over 1 Xs and I can't see where all that over 1 enhances the beauty of the piece so Emma is a better woman than I. I'm stitching the house outline over 2 just like the rest of the sampler. Call me a baby, I can take it. I tried a couple of over 1 stitches and truthfully, they were not making me happy so I made the executive decision to make my sampler a wee bit different from Emma's and no one would know unless I told them and whoops, I just did!

Since finishing the outline of the house I've gone back to working on the border. It's actually going pretty fast and this is from the single slowest stitcher in the history of the world.

Has anyone else stitched this sampler? Did you outline the house with over 1 Xs?


12 comments:

Michelle said...

Ooh pretty! I think the decision to do over two outline around the house was a good one.

Glenna said...

I wouldn't do the over-one either. Who's going to notice? I'm big on time-saving if it's not noticeable--there are other samplers to stitch!

Margaret said...

Oh lord, I want to do Emma too. lol! She's gorgeous!! I so agree - why bother doing over one on that huge house? I'm going to drool now.

aprilmecheelesdulllife said...

Emma is a Bright beauty !! I like her colors !! I like the over 2 around the house.

Barb said...

I love the colors in this sampler! I agree with all the other comments. I have not done this sampler but think maybe over two looks even better because it gives better definition.

Katrina said...

Pretty project and if you don't want to do over one you shouldn't :-).

Chocolates4Breakfast (Terri Malinovich) said...

I haven't stitched this but I love what I see so far. I think the over two outline is one that Emma would approve. So pretty!!!

Missy Ann said...

See what you don't know is Emma's grandmother was standing over her shoulder when she started this sampler (she started with the house btw) and while the ol' dragon (loveable, but still - OMG that woman) was lecturing her "In my day we stitched EVERYTHING over one. We didn't waste thread and fabric with this over two stuff. AND WE LIKED IT!!"

Well anyway as soon as Grandma Dragon took off to the cousins to lecture them about the state of their petticoats, Emma's mom came to her and said "It's ok honey, you can stitch it over two if you like.".

So that's what Emma did.

Siobhán said...

I agree with Glenna--go for avoiding the over one if you can!! LOL Love your Rachael finish! YGG!

the striped rose said...

I haven't stitched it, but I definitely will put it on my list~ I love those colors!

Lucy said...

I can't help you either...but that is so pretty!

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! You do such beautiful work, over one or over two!