Monday, September 20, 2010

Not Necessarily Blooming

Today I was pondering the messiness of my house, how to weed through the crap, when it dawned on me for a very long time I have not been blooming where I'm planted. I've kind of been spreading crap across my universe much like weeds in a flowerbed.

That thought, that I was the weed instead of the flower in my world, well, it woke me up. I have been thinking a lot recently about changes that need to be made to make the home life better, the bank account more balanced, my body for that matter more balanced and thanks to the on set of perimenupause, something has to be done to be sure that I do not allow the crazy to wrap it's arms around me too tightly. Lately I have felt that a dive into complete and total crazy was no farther away than to step through a doorway.

I guess knowing that the crazy is right there ringing the doorbell is a good thing but with this whole perimenupause thing it comes over me like a rogue wave. One moment I'm calm, doing something completely normal and the next thing I know, I'm in the fetal position in the middle of the living room floor sobbing like there's no tomorrow. I've been having a lot of days where I just want to stick my head in the oven and call it good.

So that's where I've been, how's things in all y'all's worlds?

A R.O.A.K.

The other day I came home from schlepping people here and there and what did I see but a package on my doorstep. I hadn't ordered anything that I could recall, and then I recognised the return address on the package and wondered what in the world this stitching friend had sent me. I opened the package to find what you see pictured below:

I so heart the pink skull and crossbones. The chart is By the Bay's Santa at the Seashore, there's a bright skull and crossbones notebook for making lists of all those projects I never seem to finish and some Sugar & Cream cotton for knitting some handy dandy warshrags. Thank you so much Jeanne! With all you have going on in your life, to think of me, well it just left me verklempt.

Speaking of projects, I did finally manage to finish something:


A Haunting Mermaid
Carriage House Samplings
36ct Flax(I think)
DMC

I have no idea why it took me so long to get around to stitching this piece. I love her and the colors are perfect to hang with my Mairmaid's Song and Sirens of the Sea(also CHS). I will admit to one very sad moment, I had twittered that the piece was finished, only to realize a few hours later that I had forgotten all the background stitching on the three bands. I was devastated. I was so ready to have this DONE. But I finally sucked it up, did a stitching marathon, got to love Peter Jackson for making the Lord of the Rings trilogy the single longest movie marathon in the history of the world.


Remember that pile of letters from a previous post? Well this is what I did with them:

I was inspired by this post:
I have always loved the saying, "Always Kiss Me Goodnight" and had planned to buy a sign to hang over the closet door but then I saw Floresita's Feliz and thought what a neat idea. So I spent a day or so tracing and cutting out letters, no fancy Cricut here, then I sewed the letters to the felt and then decided the words "kiss me" needed something so then I did some lips. The ribbon is red with white polka dots. Yeah, it's kind of artsy craftsy even kindergartenish but seeing it makes me smile.
And when I say kindergartenish I'm pretty sure any kindergartener on the planet could have done a better job than me. I hated school projects! Still do!
This reminded me very much of a school project or teacher bulletin board project while I was doing all that cutting.
Know all those jokes about "How to Bath a Cat"?


No kittens were harmed in the taking of these pictures!


How about the dishwasher? I had just emptied the dishwahser when I noticed Mittens and Katie jumping around inside.

13 comments:

Kim said...

Aaaaah Melissa...I am RIGHT THERE WITH YA on the one-step-away-from-crazy feeling. Some days I seriously just want to bolt....become a wandering gypsy...the next day I'm nesting like crazy and reveling in the family. Yet the next day...sobbing....*SIGH*

LOVE your finish! I need to do this one. Have had it in stash for forEVER and just need to do it! Like I need to start one more blessed thing! EGADS!

And what a FUN package to come home to!!! Such sweet friends out there!

Your bedroom letters are pretty darn cool!!

Next time you're feeling BLAH just go plop your ass in the sand and your toes in the water and look to the west and shout "Neener Neener Kim!". ;o)

Margaret said...

I know that crazy feeling too. Most definitely! But let me say -- you are not a weed!

I love the present you got! And your mermaid finish -- beautiful!!! Love what you did with those letters too.

As for your kitties -- so cute!!! OMG! lol They are adorable!

Karen said...

What a great package! The skull is too cute.

I love your Mermaid....really need to get that one out of the stash! Hope things get better....I know how crazy it can get sometimes!

Jeanne said...

I'm so glad you liked everything. Thanks to our Sue G for making my stitching look great. I had a lot of fun putting it all together.

Amanda said...

What a great package & such a cute skull too!
Love your finish too, don't think I've seen it before either.
Hope things get better for you and you manage to stay "sane", whatever that may be.

Michelle said...

Love your finish! And what a fabulous care package to arrive - love it! Your Always banner is inspired - such a sweet thing to see every day.

Katrina said...

Love your finish!!! Mermaids are my favorite.

Anonymous said...

Oh nice mermaid and i love your kiss saying, might just have to shamelessly borrow that. And thanks for sharing the dishwashing kitties, that brought a smile to my face.

Sharon said...

Melissa, what a great post, I am so sorry you are going through that perimeno stuff, (((((Melissa))))) hope you feel better soon.
I just love your finish, its just so pretty and so you. It looks great. You have stitched so many gorgeous things. Love them all.
Those letters are fabulous, I love how you made them and that you added the lips, they are so Kewl and crafty. Like you dear friend, you inspire me so much!! love you xoxox

Blu said...

Love the finish! Her hair has a personality of it's own!
Your letters are cool.
And what a lovely package to receive.

Siobhán said...

I love your Always Kiss Me Goodnight sign! You are too clever! I really like it.

Great job on Haunting Mermaid, too. It looks great! Another one of my 'must do' CHSs!

Missy Ann said...

Oh your mermaid is fabulous!

Try the 15 fling thing. Everyday you throw out or put in the donation box (which gets taken every week to charity!).

Yes it takes a while, but in a week you'll see small improvements and a couple months from now you'll have to be searching for extras to de-clutter.

MyLifesAStitch said...

Ahhh, what a great post, Melissa!! I'm so sorry though about the hormonal hell you're going through. :( That is NO joy, I'm sure!!

That finish is just beautiful!! Love the CHS pieces, and I'm so sad they're out of business now. :(

Those letters look pretty great to me! Kudos to you for actually sewing the letters on... I would've been lazy and just used some iron on stuff, lol!

And the package of goodies! Whata treat, and what a sweet friend for sending it!

I had to laugh at the kittens. My Roscoe tries to climb in the dishwasher EVERY time it's emptied... but he's way too big to fit and you can just see the look of frustration on his face.

Anyway, have a great week!!